Sunday, January 23

bright Brighton and the Great British Seaside Holiday

Last week I enjoyed a small trip to Brighton to visit some of my friends at university. I had a lovely few days catching up with them, scoffing chocolate in front of Bridget Jones, playing Scrabble (yes!), hitting the Brighton night-life and taking a stroll along the sea-front. The weather was glorious; crisp, cold, bright and sunny.

Being somebody who is usually found glued to the viewfinder of my camera, of course I took a few snaps.






Whilst walking around I realised how much I love all the seaside signage:


 

Aren't they just gorgeous? So colourful! They remind me of the good old-fashioned British seaside holiday - picnics, bracing swims, sandcastles, ice creams, donkey rides, Punch & Judy, piers, funfairs, those stripy swimsuits...

In fact, whilst a west-country beach might not feel like sunkissed California or a Hawaian paradise much of the time, some of my best childhood summer holidays have been spent exploring rockpools, playing beach boules and paddling along the Devon and Cornwall coastline.

Nickeh Smith
In these economic times I think there will be an increase in the number of people who decide to take a holiday in the British Isles instead of jetting off elsewhere. And this choice doesn't have to be thought of as second-best. Sure, we all dream of travelling the world and seeing the sights - my Wanderlust Wednesday feature is a huge example of that - but it doesn't mean we should go abroad every year. Britain's full of stunning coastal places that deserve to be stayed in and enjoyed - you only have to have a short browse here for proof. From the unspoilt windy romance of the Scottish highlands to the Cornish surfer havens, and everywhere in between - there's just so much to see.

I hope more people start to realise that there is beauty and fun to be had at home, too. So here's to the Great British Seaside Holiday!

3 comments:

  1. Aah it all looks so lovely, I've always wanted to go to Brighton! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. My cousins live in Brighton and I live quite near Southend, and of the two I definitely prefer Brighton. I do love the whole arcade-at-the-seaside thing but I just love Brighton as a city as well, and then the bonus of it being near the beach and just being quite antiquated in places is nice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, I wouldn't have guessed a single moment it was in Brighton ! The pictures are stunning.

    ReplyDelete