Sunday, August 19

A playlist for driving west


Tomorrow I'm setting out on a trip around Dorset, Devon and Cornwall. There'll be camping on the coast, a private beach to explore in the early mornings, waking up to fresh sea air and sizzling bacon. Taking in the sights of Chesil Beach, Corfe Castle, Durdle Door, Lulworth Coast and beyond. Drives along coastal roads with good music playing. Living in my dungarees, Breton tops, Converse. Bike rides, fish and chips on the beach, belly boarding, lots of fresh air.  Cornish pasties! And maybe even a meal at the River Cottage canteen.

I can't wait. Lots of photos shall be taken.

We make the drive down from London to Cornwall every summer as it's where we have family. And every summer we hire a car (because our own car is twenty years old, with no electric windows, no cd player, a very dodgy radio and a driver's door that doesn't open) and compile a playlist for the trip. Here's the one I've made for this year.

1. Everybody's Talkin' - Harry Nilsson
2. When You Were Young - The Killers
3. Land Of Hope And Dreams - Bruce Springsteen
4. Wouldn't It Be Nice - The Beach Boys
5. A-Punk - Vampire Weekend
6. Atlas Hands - Benjamin Francis Leftwich
7. Free - Dexys
8. Runaways - The Killers
9. Sweet Home Alabama - Lynyrd Skynyrd
10. Midnight Train To Georgia - Gladys Knight & The Pips
11. Gold On The Ceiling - Black Keys
12. I'm Getting Ready - Michael Kiwanuka
13. Gumboots - Paul Simon
14. Don't Think Twice, It's Alright [Bob Dylan cover] - Johnny Cash
15. Charlie Brown - Coldplay
16. Love Generation - Bob Sinclair
17. Drive In Saturday - David Bowie
18. Hoppipolla - Sigur Ros

It's a bit eclectic, to cater for our different tastes, but the essentials - sunshine music for sunny moods - are all there. These are the songs that represent the summer holidays, the beginning of some much needed rest and a change of scene. No stresses allowed. I wish I could have made a playlist you can actually stream, but I'm not au fait with Spotify and couldn't find another way of doing it!

Like the first song says, I'm going where the sun keeps shining through the pouring rain. Going where the weather suits my clothes. See you in a couple of weeks.

4 comments:

  1. That sounds like the most perfect trip, it's making me feel very jealous! Hope the weather holds for you (the forecast is looking good!) and have a Cornish cream tea for me! That playlist is awesome! X

    Rosie | A Rosie Outlook

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your trip = heaven. I'm so jealous of you right now. You should go and visit Valley of the Rocks on the North Devon coast, near Lynton & Lynmouth. I used to go there every year on my birthday when I was a kid. Have an amazing holiday! Great choice on the Paul Simon, that album is so perfect for road trips. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray for hols in Blighty! I spotted lots of faves on your playlist. I've found 8tracks good for creating playlists/mixtapes if you're ever looking to create a playlist.

    Happy holidays!

    Emily x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man, I love your blog...

    ReplyDelete