Tuesday, April 26

jukebox #1

I thought I would introduce the odd music post in here, for a bit of variety, but mainly because I love music and don't get to talk about it often enough! I'll probably start posting about art and books more often too - (well, in six weeks time, when my exam is done and I have free time again).


from left to right, top to bottom:

 Bob Dylan - Nashville Skyline, Rolling Stones - Exile on Main St, Beach Boys - the Very Best Of, Jack Johnson - In Between Dreams, Rolling Stones - Let it Bleed, Johnny Cash - America VI , Mariachi El Bronx, Brandon Flowers - Flamingo, The Killers - Sam's Town



this week I've been listening to...
  • I've really been into the Stones again at the moment. I think it's the summer feeling in the air, but it leaves me wanting to wear short denim shorts and doc martens and lie in the warm grass all day, getting up only for the occasional dance! the riff from Gimme Shelter is just unbeatable - it will send shivers down your spine.
  • Bob Dylan's duet, Girl from the North Country, with Johnny Cash (whose album pictured is a MUST LISTEN), is stunning. Dylan is timeless, his lyrics are beautiful and I'm proud to share my birthday with him!
  • summer wouldn't be summer without listening to the Beach Boys! as a child I'd have Surfin' USA and Fun Fun Fun on repeat. now my love has extended to Sloop John B and God Only Knows.
  • Jack Johnson's In Between Dreams album is the perfect thing to collapse to after a long day at work. of course instead of laying on my bed, I'd rather listen to it with the sand between my toes on a Hawaiian beach or something, but I suppose one can't be too fussy.
  • the Mariachi el Bronx album is this crazy little mixture of Mexican mariachi songs penned by a band who usually prefer to blast out hardcore punk. this album is a little musical gem I discovered last year, and the first track, Cell Mates, is wicked.
  • lastly there's my two usuals, Brandon Flowers and The Killers. there's a big reason why I've been listening to them even more than normal (if that's even possible) - I have tickets to see The Killers at Hard Rock Calling 2011 and Brandon at the Eden Project a couple of weeks later!! anybody who knows just how much of a Killers fan I am will understand that my stomach is now a permanent nest of excited butterflies. June 24th and July 12th cannot come quickly enough!
  • The Killers song of the fortnight: Losing Touch
    fill the night with stories, the legend grows // of how you got lost // but you made your way back home // you sold your soul like a roamin' vagabond

4 comments:

  1. These are ultimate summer sounds love love love! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post :) I've been thinking about writing a few music posts on my blog recently. I'd love to listen to Jack Johnson on a beach, it would be perfection! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome pic, that Rolling Stones cover looks awesome, I love the cake! :D

    Day By Diva
    Day By Diva
    Day By Diva

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely loving the Jack Johnson album at the moment when it's sunny.

    I like the Killers bigtime but I haven't listened to them in a while - seen them a couple of times though and they're so good!

    ReplyDelete